Even though I very much agree with what Merlin Mann says in Back to Work #47 I decided to have a New Year’s Resolution this year.
It’s an easy one:
No fast food in 2012.
If this sounds familiar to you, it’s basically what I did for lent last year. And all things considered, it does tick all the checkboxes from Back to Work:
- I have a plan. It’s simple: Just don’t go to McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC and similar places.
- I have a tolerance for failure: there might be situations where those are the only options available.
- It’s small: the only time I’d go to these places is during lunch breaks at work anyway, I can do without that. And it’s just that one thing. I’m not trying to become a gourmet over night.
- It’s time-limited: one year.
- It’s… okay, it’s not action-oriented. In fact, it is absence-of-action oriented. That’s even better because I am really good at not doing stuff. In this case that stuff is “going to fast food places.”
As I said before: doable.