As one of Google’s highest-ranking women, Marissa Mayer became a Silicon Valley superstar, but inside the search giant her dazzle sometimes wore thin, with colleagues rebelling against her imperious style. In the wake of Mayer’s jump to run the struggling Yahoo, Bethany McLean asks whether she will be its savior or its next big problem. A year and a half in, the results are mixed.
Good news everybody! You can now download the GeoPlanet Data at the Internet Archive
Yahoo! used to have these wonderful location datasets called GeoPlanet Data / WoEID for download. At some point last year they decided to remove them from their page:
Yahoo! GeoPlanet helps bridge the gap between the real and virtual worlds by providing an open, permanent, and intelligent infrastructure for geo-referencing data on the Internet. The Geoplanet API provides a powerful tool to access WOEID’s and use them in your application. We are currently making the data non-downloadable while we determine a better way to surface the data as a part of the service. If you have a strong need for the data, please reach out to Yahoo! Geo Team . Make sure to pick Geoplanet as your area of interest.
Now they’re back, over at the Internet Archive. Gary Gale explains how that’s possible.
Part of our organizational streamlining involves cutting our investment in underperforming or off-strategy products to put better focus on our core strengths and fund new innovation in the next year and beyond.
These are my links for December 22nd through January 1st:
These are my links for October 31st through November 2nd:
These are my links for October 19th through October 22nd:
The evening entertainment (Hack Girls) was an interesting contrast to Girltalk at Sunnyvale Open Hack Day the weekend before.
These are my links for October 6th through October 7th:
- Facebook makes it official: We hate Mondays | Royal Pingdom –
- High Scalability – High Scalability – 10 Ways to Take your Site from One to One Million Users by Kevin Rose –
- Lufthansa MySkyStatus™ –
- Yahoo Meme now with an own API – powered by YQL (Yahoo! Developer Network Blog) –
- Heavy Metal & Gender: "Schreiende Frauen stoßen auf Widerstand" –
Vor zwei Jahren wurden bei Flickr die Safe Search-Einstellungen für Deutschland, Singapur, Hong Kong und Korea geändert. Trotz großem Protest damals und einer ewig langen Diskussion im Forum hat sich seitdem nichts daran geändert.
These are my links for May 14th through May 22nd:
- Making of Süsse Stuten 7 – Folge 2 – Tag 2 – Oh noez.
- [mobile] Ozone – Looks great!
- Spoiler Alert! Solving the Hidden Metapuzzle in Wired’s May Issue – Holy crap. I found a lot of the hints but didn't manage to solve one single puzzle.
- Textmate Bundles for Drupal | groups.drupal.org – I (heart) Textmate.
- – Now that looks very cool. I might use this for a mobile version of the EagleTweet page.
These are my links for April 24th through April 30th:
- Flickr Hit Hard by Yahoo Layoffs – Sad to hear.
- Mapping the world’s photos – Accidental mapping through geotagging.
- Free Mobile Testing Tool Trial for Keynote MITE – Mobile Interactive Testing Environment –
- Prezi – The zooming presentation editor – Everybody seems to love it.
- Gantter.com – web-based project management alternative – UI is.. special. Besides this: nice.